19 December 2013
I had the opportunity to speak as part of a panel at the London Crypto Festival on November 30th 2013. My main point was that we have not one, but many ways to protect privacy in on-line services. Therefore consumers and citizens should demand from their service and software providers strong protections for their privacy, and come to expect them. The examples I used are from what I know best, namely smart metering privacy for which we have proposed in the past very credible protocols for privacy friendly billing and statistics.
My Crypto Party Presentation can be found here.
I was very honored to be invited to Asiacrypt 2013 to present some of our work on privacy-friendly computations. It was an opportunity to consolidate a presentation that includes an overview of privacy-friendly billing and aggregation for smart metering. The slides of the presentation are available in Powerpoint 2012 format (and an older ppt format).
The key references providing more technical details on smart-metering privacy are:
- Alfredo Rial, George Danezis: Privacy-preserving smart metering. WPES 2011: 49-60
- Klaus Kursawe, George Danezis, Markulf Kohlweiss: Privacy-Friendly Aggregation for the Smart-Grid. PETS 2011: 175-191
- George Danezis, Markulf Kohlweiss, Alfredo Rial: Differentially Private Billing with Rebates. Information Hiding 2011: 148-162
- George Danezis, Benjamin Livshits: Towards ensuring client-side computational integrity. CCSW 2011: 125-130
- Andres Molina-Markham, George Danezis, Kevin Fu, Prashant J. Shenoy, David E. Irwin: Designing Privacy-Preserving Smart Meters with Low-Cost Microcontrollers. Financial Cryptography 2012: 239-253
- Gilles Barthe, George Danezis, Benjamin Grégoire, César Kunz, Santiago Zanella Béguelin: Verified Computational Differential Privacy with Applications to Smart Metering. CSF 2013: 287-301
- Cedric Fournet, Markulf Kohlweiss, George Danezis and Zhengqin Luo. ZQL: A Compiler for Privacy-Preserving Data Processing. USENIX Security Symposium, Washington DC, 2013.
- George Danezis, Cedric Fournet, Markulf Kohlweiss and Santiago Zanella-Beguelin. Smart Meter Aggregation via Secret-Sharing. ACM SEGS 2013: Smart Energy Grid Security Workshop, Berlin, 2013.
- Carmela Troncoso, George Danezis, Eleni Kosta, Josep Balasch, Bart Preneel: PriPAYD: Privacy-Friendly Pay-As-You-Drive Insurance. IEEE Trans. Dependable Sec. Comput. 8(5): 742-755 (2011)
- George Danezis, Markulf Kohlweiss, Benjamin Livshits, Alfredo Rial: Private Client-Side Profiling with Random Forests and Hidden Markov Models. Privacy Enhancing Technologies 2012: 18-37